View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Did He Touch Home?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pudge,

interesting thoughts about the walk. I hadn't thought of that.

I still think going for home is the right move on just about every OF save for a few cannons. 0 outs and just a man on 3rd maybe not, but Helton advancing to second has to swing it well into +EV territory, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Pudge on this one, I don't think walking the bases loaded would give you a significant advantage.

Hoffman's control didn't look good, and was he pitching without a safety net (or was there a left-hander up in the pen?) Brad Hawpe was on deck and would have unloaded on Hoffman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Pudge. Another point in favour of not walking the bases loaded is that Holliday is not left to choose a "run-down" option with the bases juiced. With runners on 1st and 3rd, on a ground ball Holliday can force a rundown (if need be). Tis would allow a heads-up runner on 1st to end up on 3rd with 1 out, thus keeping the sac fly in play. This option is gone with the bases juiced. It's a small point, but the ultimate decision needs to made on the cummulative impact of small points.

That said, the runner on 1st didn't seem too heads-up....as he was still on 1st after the play??