View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: SCKeylogger found - what is next?

[ QUOTE ]
If your at all unsure about any computers I would honestly recommend a complete reformat. Its a serious pain I know but really the only 100% sure way. Also, if you do reformat be sure to get a firewall on first thing (preferable before you connect to the net for the first time(ie use a flashdrive/portable HD to load it) then patch up immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leap,

you offer good advice; I would only add one thing: I have a DVDburner on my comp and I created a 'reformat' disk. It contains all necessary applications as well as their patches (i.e. AV, anti-spyware apps, etc). That way when you connect to the internet for the first time you have decent protection (usb drive can hold all smaller patches).

Coldcaller(or Kyle...something)'s post made me realize you need your defenses up as soon as you are connected for the first time.

On average I do reformat about once every six months. I guess I am a geek, but for that 1/2 day you spend tweaking & re-tweaking the comp is a small price to pay for cleanliness, speed, etc.