View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: A question for the lawers

Skall, a couple of questions:

[ QUOTE ]
That poker is not illegal as a matter of Federal law is now pretty well accepted thanks to the Mastercard case inthe 5th Circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will a simple search/google find the details of this case, or would you need to point me (as a non-lawyer)?

[ QUOTE ]
(is a poker site in the "business" of betting and wagering when it obviosly does not bet or wager itself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that the various betting "clearinghouses" are built around the assumed answer of NO to this question.

Is it a legitimate legal argument to make that the facilitator and controller of a gambling interaction, who profits by fee from that transaction, is not in the business of gambling?

[ QUOTE ]
they want the banks to guess at the answers, which may or may not be worse for us, depending on the final regulation specifics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this make you very nervous, depending on banks and other financial institutions (especially those with connections or business interests tied to fed gov't approval) to make aggressive or liberal interpretations of vague regulations?

I would expect them to default to the conservative CYA stance that would most protect them, not the freedoms of others. Banks are rarely trailblazers.