View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: The line will not move, the delay means zero ...

I do not disagree with Skall very often. But I do disagree with his, and Milton's, description of iMEGA's case. It is a prayer for an injunction against enforcement of the UIGEA and the Wire Act against Internet gambling. The request for preliminary injunction is only to injoin enforecment of the UIGEA and its regulations. iMEGA has several arguments in support of its requested relief. Chief among them is that a private citizen has the right of privacy under the US constitution to engage in Internet gambling in his or her home and these laws infringe on this right of privacy without any government rationale. iMEGA also argues that these laws are overbroad because they infringe on someone's right to engage in a form on Internet gambling who lives in a state where such form is legal; even though that form might be legal in another state. iMEGA also argues that these laws must be interpreted to not conflict with the WTO decision on Internet gambling.
I do agree that the standing issue may be a weakness of the iMEGA position. But I still believe that if the judge had decided to dismiss the case due to lack of standing, she would have by now. I could of course be wrong. But Milton, IMO you are placing too much emphasis on the present lack of a named plaintiff. iMEGA has alleged that affiliates of Internet gambling sites are members of it. This may have solved the standing problem.
The delay past the judge's stated time period, which didn't mean much, could be due to having to examine each argument of the iMEGA and now the proposed regulations. So, yes, even if standing was not fatal, it could take some time to examine and reject each argument. But IMO, even if the judge thinks iMEGA's case is weak on the merits, she would still likely let it proceed to discovery and trial on the merits. IMO what the judge may be considering is whether a preliminary injunction is merited. After all even if the judge thought that iMEGA's case was strong, the judge might be pondering whether iMEGA has demonstrated any irreparable harm or other cause that requires a preliminary injunction.
IMO the odds of a dismissal is only 25% (clearly iMEGA thinks that it is less), but odds of granting the request for Preliminary Injunction I put at only 10%. Granting a preliminary injunction would almost end the case in iMEGA's favor and may not be necessary to prevent irreparable damage. So IMO the most likely scenario is that the judge grants no relief at this time and the case proceeds to discovery and maybe a trial on whether a final injunction should be issued.
If the judge doesn't really want to rule either way, then this method delays the case until the WTO takes action on Antiqua's request for sanctions and may delay it past WTO arbitration on all the compensation claims for US withdrawal from its WTO internet gambling commitments. The judge may decide to let these events play out because they may make the whole case moot. Wouldn't be the first time that I have seen a trial judge punt on a difficult and controversial case. I even have personal experience with that outcome although in a MO state court. Heck maybe the judge will wait until after November 30, the date that the WTO is to rule on Antiqua's request for IP sanctions.
Anyway I doubt that any two good lawyers agree on any part of this case, the apparent delay in the decision or any part of the outcome. I have read many numerous opinions and I doubt that one is a more valid prediction than another. So this post is just my opinion which is no more, or less, valid than Skall's or Milton's. I'll wait until the judge releases some decision before commenting further.