View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Anyone see a Golf psychologist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can adjust that to whatever your par is on a hole given your handicap. If your a 5, then the 5 hardest holes look to make an easy bogey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite get what you mean by easy bogey. Are you saying to play a difficult par 4 as a par 5?

There is a brutal par 4 at my club. 90 degree dog leg left with ob down both sides. There is no bail out zone. You need to hit a drive about 260 yards to have a decent shot to the green.

I could hit a 5 wood (and many times do!) and just play it for three shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically it's another way of saying play within yourself. Only for me it is more practical than using a catchphrase.

An example of where this helps me immensely is when I feel between clubs. If I feel I need to make birdies this is a very tough spot, but with this easy par mentality I never feel between clubs. If the pin's on the back I take the shorter club (content to putt from the middle of the green, not try to force it back there), on the front I take the bigger club.

I can elaborate further on this if you want, but I suggest playing a round of golf where your goal is to make pars only (or par for your handicap on every hole). Or set up a money match where par is the best score, bogey and birdie are next then double or worse.