View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Is it ever possible to avoid getting busted by sets?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody with KK or QQ (or even AK, JJ) is probably going to re-raise preflop so you can probably toss those out of your read, and you are left with either semi-bluff and/or set, probably on the T or the 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is they might not 3bet with the premium hands or they could be trapping in position, we could never really toss this out of our reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did use the qualifier "probably". And still yet, trying to trap with less than KK is pretty dangerous in itself, but sure, this could be the case. I just think it is less likely, at least depending on the stakes in question (again I only play $50nl now).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember, AA is only an overpair. If you can't manage to bloat the pot pre-flop, or get heads-up with an obvious donk, you probably want to practice some pot-size control and not get over committed. Given these considerations, with calling and betting out the turn, you can probably put your opponent on a set if he bets out big on the river. If you are in position, your turn bet acts as a nice little blocking bet as a set-whore may think you will bet out again and thus let the action fall to you, in which case you can check and collect your winnings or wallow in self pity at losing to pocket 2's.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 100BB stack size, pot control might not be even possible. Its so easy to get it AI by the river with such sizes. In my given example, we might check the turn for pot control, but if he then makes something like a 3/4PSB again, we'll be likely to call cause 1)our check might seem weak to our opponent who then thinks his TPTK or KK/QQ hand is good and bets out or 2)he might be trying to push us out of the pot. And by the river, we'll be pot committed to call his shove (another 3/4PSB should do it).

I'm starting to think that sets are 1 of those situations where you have to pay your opponents off provided they dont do something stupid. Hope this is not so.

[/ QUOTE ]

All valid points, so it really reduces to reads, and that is difficult. Truth be told I have lost my stack enough times to say that sometimes you really do have to pay your opponent off.