View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Quants without phds?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Depending on specifically what you mean by 'quant', I think that a PhD is becoming more and more needed to get a truly top job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this was a baseless comment thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

? didn't you read the first response to my question by soko?

in all seriousness, are you saying you disagree with the person you quoted? Because it seems to be in line with your first post. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

the move will take time. it isn't like all quants now require PhDs.

the job specs all say "quantitative finance experience. MS/PhD preferred" i have something equivalent to an MS Finance (i was one of only 4 out of 260 MBAs to take the math fin concentration meant for phds and ms fin students) but the job specs also say "excellent programming ability a plus. familiarity/ability to program in C++/Java/comparable language required"

the % of quant jobs that i've seen (efinancialcareers/monster/hotjobs etc.) that require a PhD (i.e. specifically say "phd required) is probably less than 10%. the reason is that the "quantitative" title can legtitimately be applied to risk analysts, trade idea generators, economists etc. so there are wide ranging job functions don't necessitate a PhD.

it may be the case that PhDs are becoming "more required" than previuos years but i can't speak to that...

Barron