View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Simple reason why I do not think taxation = theft

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if someone acts with bias, he is creating some burden, right? If something is a burden, it must have some tangible effect, right? The example I gave dealt with statism. If statism is a burden (which I agree it probably is), then it must be a burden for some tangible reason.

I think a species will always evolve to either eliminate the burden or to no longer interpret the burden. Neither scenario is more or less desirable to me. The ability to build fire is not better to me than the ability to not be cold.

So I guess that highlights why (even though I agree the state is inherently inefficient) I don't really have a problem with the state's existence. It's a problem in the sense that I have to pay taxes for things I don't use. But since whatever I might be able to do about that hardly seems worth the effort, it isn't a burden to me. If I had a butter knife and thought the world would be better if Mt. Rushmore didn't exist because there was a pot of gold in the middle of it, I might decide to just enjoy the scenery instead of doing my little part.

But anyways, what I said (which you won't completely agree with because you don't agree the state is bad) was that when people act with the bias that the state is good, if we just let them, nature will probably weed their condition out in some way if it's truly bad. Maybe people who are more likely to believe in the state will be more likely to see their genes die in wars.

Of course, the alternative, is the state evolves us to "not mind the cold." And again, I personally don't see that as undesirable. But whenever a burden exists, something has to give, right? If ultimately the human condition would not change on account of some action, then based on what would that action actually be bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I was just trying to figure out whether you actually thought there was an evolutionary mechanism that would have that effect or it was just a vague notion that it would, which is the case.

If anything the pervasiveness of "government" throughout history says to me that it is a beneficial evolutionary trait or it would have been selected against more effectively.