View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (razz) Why do they bet here? What should I do?

[ QUOTE ]
serious answer: your opponents are terrible. the opponents at 30/60 are also largely terrible. up until you get to big grapes at 100/200 and the half dozen people playing midstakes I respect, nobody is any good at razz, and if you think villains pay attention, you're either not very good (that's okay, because like I said, nobody including myself is, and if you're the best bad player out of a thousand terrible ones you'll still make lots of money) or grossly overestimating their ability.

also, if you've put in tens of thousands of hands at 1/2 and are at least breaking even, the rake is killing you. move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I can say about terrible opponents is that at higher stakes they are often paying attention. They may still do a lot of dumb things, but if they notice that if you always fold 5th with a mediocre board and they are representing a wheel draw, then they will always bet even if they paired up. Or say you try to steal a lot, they will call you down very lightly if your raised from a steal position. So the plays that are your bread and butter in lower stakes get narrowed down in higher stakes b/c the opponents are more 'savvy' even when they are still donks.

IIRC this effect starts at about 3/6, but may be at a different limit at this point. If 2/4 is still the upper end of the microstakes, then that's where you want to take your shots and try to establish a BR since accoring to jbrennen it's a soft spot in the rake structure (at least at FTP).