View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Is Neo-Atheism The Way to Go? [Poll]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know you'll laugh when I give these particular examples... but my wife and I watch Trading Spouses and Wifeswap semi-regularly. They've had several shows where an atheist or person with 'alternative beliefs' swaps with a very religious family. When the atheist or New Age wife goes to the religious community, she is almost always treated with scorn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, television shows looking to maximize drama and looking for maximum conflict are a good place to look for examples of this phenomenon. It's also not like the religious aren't treated with scorn and derision by the atheists; witness the Internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I admitted it wasn't the best example. That being said, I don't think comparing that to an internet forum is the same thing. The internet is one of the few places where people can speak and not worry about repercussions.

Atheists are the minority. It is perfectly okay for a politician to say Atheists are unamerican. Was that politican attacked for that? Hell no. Can you imagine a politician speaking out against the religious?

I have agreed that there are some atheists who treat the religious rudely. But they are so few in numbers. And they mainly can only do so ON the internet. In many parts of the country to admit you're an atheist is an invitation to be rejected by your community. And again... the atheists are a tiny minority.

I think you're comparing Apples and Oranges.

I'm being repetitive but... its very telling about the society when public figures can demean a group (be it a race or a belief system) and know it will be accepted. If politicians can denounce atheists with no backlash, that's a reflection of the standing atheists have in that community.