View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (value) bet this turn?

mild hijack of my own thread imminent:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure if the rest of you are levelling me or have never played live poker

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT. When (if) you play live you will "profile" opponents based on their mannerisms, hairstyles, fashion, etc. etc., so it's not "wrong" to profile by race.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not just poker, either. someone stops you in the street to ask for directions. you will know, with 99% confidence, in the first three seconds of that conversation if you are speaking with a local (in which case you give one set of directions) or a domestic tourist (in which case you give another set of directions) or a foreigner (in which case a third set). does this make you a racist? or are you just using all the information available (like a good poker player!) to provide the best solution?

anyway, this makes me a little testy because i'm such a slobbering fanboy of world culture. there is so much fear of "racism" that i can't even describe a person's obvious ethnic heritage without drawing penalty flags[**]. besides, i sat -- stoically -- through waaaay too many n*gger jokes at Thanksgiving to have my racial ethics called into question.

[**] most non-americans may read this as "drawing yellow cards". aussies can read it as "blarging shimble banthers lolol" or whatever the [censored]. see how worldly and culturally sensitive i am?