View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Real Estate people: I want to buy a house, advice?

It'll be really hard to get 2 loans in your situation (assuming it's similar to mine in that you are ~22 and haven't previously owned a house). I don't think you should put down 100%, but that would make it easier to get 2 houses obviously. Another problem is that if you have a house as investment property the interest rates are higher.

If you don't have much credit, you'll probably have to put down 20% or so minimum, but after a few months of making your payments on time your credit will go way up (so I've heard, I'm just making my first payment in a few days and I have almost no credit).

There are also a ton of things you have to do when you buy a house, so I recommend getting one then waiting a couple months to get the 2nd one. The banks will also try to screw you with the loan, so much so that it took ~2-3 hours a day of talking to the bank, real estate agent, etc. It's a huge pain.

The one thing you have to do though is get 2 banks competing against each other (ignore them when they say to not have other banks pull your credit, they are just trying to eliminate competition). When they send you a good faith estimate for your loan, send it to the other bank and they will beat it, then send that to the original, etc. etc. On our first house we were offered ~7.5% interest putting 20% down, then when we made them bid against each other we got it down to 5.8%, saving us a ton.