View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Got company. $100 missing. Here\'s what I\'ve done.

My sister, brother and his 14 y.o. son are here for the entire Thanksgiving week. Last night I cashed out for $1,927.00. I got 3 $500 chips and the rest in cash which I stuck in my pocket. My money is usually rubberbanded with a small leather license/card holder but I just left that extra cash loose. Today when I took the loose money out to pay at Starbucks there was only $327. Of course it had to be the 14 y.o. but I can't prove it, if I bring it up the entire week will be totally screwed, my mother will be upset for the rest of her life and I'd pay way more than $100 to avoid either of those things. Plus, I've got to admit, there're are far too many things that I can remember doing at that age that make me cringe all these years later but, still, $100? Although, adjusting for inflation, and considering that he must've thought 'Well there's only one 20 and four 100's so I guess I've got a better shot at the 100.....'

So here's what I've done. I can't think of anything else to do but I'm open to suggestions.

I have a metal box with a lock that I keep my checkbook, extra credit cards and other sensitive stuff in when the cleaning people or other workers are in the house. My money will now be locked up. I put a piece of paper in my pocket with a note that says 'Put it back'. I'm shutting down my computer and won't give him the log-in password and am treating him coldly which is VERY much different from the way it normally would be. I can't think of anything else except to tell my brother when they leave but he's wound so tight that I don't want to even though I probably should.

So: Thoughts?