View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Question re CSS, HTML & navbars

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer will be negative, but I have a question about whether there is a way using CSS and HTML only, to create a common navigation bar for all the subpages of a website, where the style specications of same are in a css file, and the label information for the links in the navbar are also in a separate easily changed file, *instead* of on every single subpage.

I only use Nvu or handcoding in a text processor, though I have in past years fooled around with FrontPage. From my research on the net it seems the following are the ways one can make a common navbar, none of which I want to use:

1) As above, put the label information for same on every single subpage;

2) frames, the only way if I understand correctly, to have multiple html files used at once;

3) javascript (includes possible workaround option where you use js to call a file that contains html commands including NOSCRIPT - but still means users have to have java/js enabled);

4) SSIs like FrontPage extensions or other PHP stuff.

The only other workaround seems to be to use Dreamweaver to create webpages and use its library function to contain and change such information in one place, and which then when it creates the html code makes the changes throughout the code for the subpages. However I hate to spend $400 for a program whose bells and whistles I mostly wouldn't use, and for just screwing around with random webpages I don't have a huge interest in.

So my question is, other than the ways I gave above, is there in fact some other way to have a separate file contain the label information for the links in a navbar, whose style specifications are in a css file?