View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: why do you like the music you like?

To really appreciate rap, I think people have to witness free-styling. It may look face, and yes, there is a bunch of borrowing from other songs, etc. I used to help with building rap songs years ago, and to sit around and watch 6 rappers "spit," is amazing and intimitating, because the free-style would start at one person then go around in a circle. When it was my turn... I passed, obv. I have tried it, but I'm a total idiot. Underground stuff is far superior to the mainstream as far as lyrical content goes.

I though it about it a tad more, and yes, I agree that eminem's older stuff is better. For kicks, you should look up his stuff before he became big: there is a love song to Kim, believe it or not.

My favorite phrase of all time is from a New Orleans outfit called "The back Do' Ballas:" It was two guys and one girl. She delivered this line. If you can imagine a very slack jawed, laid back, but smooth delivery:

I'm a back do balla
Energized
Eveready to die hard with a vengeance
on a clip.

By the way, I do have a preference for female singers as well. People I know pick on me about it, but yes, I will be more excited to see a random album by a girl than a guy anytime of the day. Also, women tend to be better lyricists, IMO.