View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Tony Bigcharles: The Documentary (WITH CLIFFNOTES)

"neeed some ADVICE but i doubt id listen." If Tony's family/friends haven't been able to convince him, I doubt a professional could either.

Mark, I'll give you my take on things, which I'm reluctant to do since I don't know Tony personally:

First, it seems that the pit games are only part of his problem. Many of his problems stem from deficits in adaptive living skills and social skills, both of which are central to Autism, of course. He gets taken in by women, who exploit his loneliness for money, and his money management skills are non-existent. One problem with Autistic individuals is that they lack the mental processes needed to learn true social behavior, although they can learn some rote ways of handling common social situations. They also tend to be quite rigid and resistant to changing their thinking.

Tony feels good about gambling, because in the world of odds, card counting, and probability, he feels comfortable and competent, in contrast with his difficulties in society. imo, if he were to allow someone he trusts to handle and budget his money for him, while allowing him to play cards within certain limits, that might be workable for him.