Thread: Greenhorn
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Greenhorn

I there,

I’m still a greenhorn to poker, and I am wondering if I do the correct math and, consequently, make the right decisions when playing. So, I am going to line out what I think while playing, and I was wondering if it was correct, or any good. Well, here it goes:

Limit Hold’em 5/10
5 Players
Post-Flop
I hold: JTh
Board: Ah 9c 2h
Pot: 25
Loose-passive table

I figure: I’m in early position. If I bet, I think most players will call, but rarely raise. If I do not bet, I figure most of the time someone will make a bet with TP (A6 or something), but won’t raise. So, either way, I’m getting at best 9:1 (=~10%) on my money: 25 + 5 per player = 45; I have to call/bet 5. I have at best 9 outs so far. Rule of 2: 18% of hitting a h on the turn. 10% to 18% = correct call.

Is this correct? Or is this bonkers?

Another scenario:
Limit Hold’em 5/10
5 Players
I hold: AKo
Board: Ac 5c 9h
Pot: 40 (the button folded pre-flop to my raise)
4 Players
Loose table

I figure: I have TPTK and I’m second to act. If it is checked to me and I bet, I’m giving a possible flush draw odds of 11:1/ 8% (if all 3 remaining opponents call): 40 + 15 = 11:1 for the flush draw. However, provided that I am fairly certain that an A-rag will bet (but not raise), and thus, I am getting a chance to raise, I will give him 7:1/12%, which would still make it correct for him to call (since rule of 2 says: 2 x 9 outs= ~ 18%). So, best would be: bet, keep the pot small, and hope for the best.
Turn is a Js.
Pot: 60
4 players (3 opponents)
It is checked to me. If I bet I’m giving the flush draw 9:1/10% (if every player calls). Provided that I check and a Pair of J will bet, I will raise, knocking one caller out, giving the flush draw odds of 12:1/7% (60 + 60), which would make it still correct for him to call. So, check-call, keep pot small, and hope for the best.

Is this any good?
(I know that I didn’t take all players into consideration, like, possible trips, but this is a loose table, so they might be calling mashines with a gutshot or second best pair.)