View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: A Critique of Rothbardian Natural Rights (sorta long)

You can call America a dictatorship, but using such a buzzword (especially, incorrectly) does not help your argument. Call it playing semantics if you want. Like I said, your argument can be made without using false buzzwords.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course invading countries and trying to force them to have the sort of government we want doesn't work well. That's a completely different issue. It's not as if not being an anarcho-capitalist makes one an imperialist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does.

You're saying when you invade a territory rather than country and force them to have the sort of government you want then that is just fine and dandy?

[/ QUOTE ]
When did I say that?

[ QUOTE ]
If you agree governments now aren't voluntary institutions, then how do you think the came about and how doe they expand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't recall us ever trying to force the Native Americans to adopt democracy. A group of people deciding to adopt democracy is far different from a group of people invading another group of people, forcing them to adopt democracy and then leaving. Trying to equate all governments to the Iraq invasion is ridiculous IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Uh if you're saying a political system is only good if it works for every society then nothing is satisfactory, including anarcho-capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Im saying that democracy should not exasperate problems that the tenets claim the system will solve.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. I don't claim that democracy would be a good system for everyone. I also don't claim "democracy will be good for solving problem X in every circumstance."

[ QUOTE ]
For example, if people think minimum wage laws are effective they should try implement them in bangladesh.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol that's up to Bangladesh. If they want to try minimum wage laws I have no problem with that. I'm not sure what you're saying exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because our society doesnt collapse due to minimum wage laws doesnt mean the aren't harmful.

[/ QUOTE ]
True.

[ QUOTE ]
Call it mob rule instead of dictatorship.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not really true either. It might be true if this was a pure democracy, but it's a republic i.e. representative.