View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: How Do Doctor Referrals Work?

Iggy,
You/They/Everyone is making this a LOT harder then it is.

1. The doctor you saw in SD who gave you the test CAN refer you to the cardiologist. They do NOT have to be your "PCP" they can simply give you a verbal referal to go see Dr. So-and-so, the cardiologist.

2. The cardiologist does not NEED a referral as you are cash paying patient, but the cardiologist may WANT a referall from a family doctor so that every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't just come in for something that a family doctor can take care of.

3. Call the Doctor's office back that you had the physical and speak with someone else, perhaps the girl in the front office or in the "Referral" department just gave you bad information. If they tell you "We can't give you a referral because we're not your PCP" you tell them: "I don't NEED a PCP, I'm paying cash, I just need a RECOMMENDATION on what cardiologist to go see.

The word "referral" and "recommendation" have 2 different meanings in the doctors office. I think the staff is getting these words confused as you are a cash paying patient and any smart cardiologist office will see you right away as soon as they know this.

T