View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Playing Baby Straight-Flush Starters Too Aggro on Early Streets?

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff notes: Draw != made hand. Slow down.

[/ QUOTE ]To be a little nitpicky the problem is that they're too small draws on third; not that they're draws. If you have a straight-flush draw on 4th it's monstrous, despite being a draw. At that point they actually are stronger than trips, at least typically.

I don't know why Ray Zee would compare 3 card straightflushes to trips, since it's obvious that they don't make anywhere near the amount of strong hands as trips does.

They're just small showdown favorites, 55-45 against typically playable hands, such as pairs and three card lows. Compare that to trips that are usually 3-2 or 4-1 in showdown potential. And low trips probably have *better* implied odds since it's hard to see that they're going high when they brick, whereas a lot of opponents will know to get out if you catch good on 4th and 5th with a low card showing.

I don't see why it would be bad feature for you that jamming the pot early gets you odds when you catch bad. If you chase when you don't have odds, that's a problem

I see why it might be bad because you don't really have all that much equity and playing that way might tip your hand.

I don't see the point of jamming early with a low card showing, ever. It just tightens up your possible hand range a lot, while not giving you much value.

The only way I see that being good is if there's a lot of loose players that can be valuebet with a wide range of hands. Otherwise you're just saying "look at me, I've got one of very few premium hands I could have!". Which makes playing the remaining four streets a little problematic.

There's a decent chance I'm wrong about the latter, though.