View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

[ QUOTE ]
I got to say I was very nervous about Ambien or Lunesta because I know how addicting they can be and I have an addictive personality by nature. When I expressed that to my doc, he advised the Paxil and said it works great for sleeping problems which is caused by my anxiety (just didn't realize that!) and he assured me it was safe and non habit forming and he's been taking it for sleeping reasons for years (not regularly, but that's what he uses).

CORRECTION: I looked it up and I got the name wrong, I'm not on Paxil, I'm on Xanax. My bad.

Same side affects though....I think. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

T

[/ QUOTE ]

This scares me a bit. I am a Family Medicine doc, and I commonly prescribe nearly all the meds listed on this thread. You might want to talk to your doc again about how addicting Xanax (aka Alprazolam) can be. It is intended to help with SHORT term anxiety, due to its immediate sedating effects. By its own pathophysiology, it will build its own demand within your brain, so by definition, it is very addicting. It is a benzodiazepine, same class as Valium and Ativan, only Xanax is shorter acting.

Of course it maeks you sleepy, but I would never in good conscience prescribe it to someone just to help them sleep. Especially someone with a self-professed "addicting personality."

Despite this, I am not surprised by your story, as I have seen any number of patients who are/were in the same boat. Most patients who come to see me tell me they have been taking it for years, what's the big deal?

Those who are alarmed by the news that it is addicting and want to stop, I slowly taper off. If they take it daily, they soon find out what I mean by addicting; many had no idea they were hooked until they cut back.

Majority though, will just plain like their Xanax (1-3 times daily, some of them), and just keep shopping for a doc who will write their Rx.

Benzo dependence is treated much the same as alcohol dependence, so don't try to quit without a doctor's help. If you are not using it daily, you may not be dependent yet. Count your blessings, quit now, and look for a doc who isn't too lazy to look for a non-addicting solution to sleep disorders and anxiety.