View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

[ QUOTE ]

Presumably the OP was evaluated for symptoms of major depression and prescribed an antidepressant. In his mind the logical next step is to ask for lay-opinions about whether or not that class of medication is helpful? And then the question is seriously entertained? Some of the responses even reminding me of the "home remedy" thread from a few weeks back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he ever say if a doctor prescribed him medication? I thought he was toying with the idea. Asking for lay-opinions isn't uncommon, especially when these types of medications are so widely prescribed now.

What surprises me is how many people on these forums have tried some form of antidepressant. I'm curious what percent of the population has actually tried it. I think people are "seriously entertaining" the question because they want to help. They feel empathy.

Anyway, I don't quite get what your point is Irieguy. Are you saying that it is weird to discuss a doctor's prescribed treatment with lay people on an internet forum? If a doctor told me that I might want to try taking Paxil or something, I might want to ask some of my friends and even the forums if anyone has tried it and what they thought of it. I just don't get what you find so objectionable about that. Could you explain which part you found "superstition" and "flimsy thinking"?