View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: The Myth of Meaning

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because some people believe there is a God doesn't make it real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does. When a person believes something is true then it is true for him. Yes for a child the truth fairy exists. That is what believe means. That is not to say that a person cannot change their views. But as long as they believe something is true then for them it is true. My gosh that is exatly what religion is based on. Belief (without proof).

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

There's some confusion here.

Certainly if something believes something to be real, it 'seems' real to them. That does not mean it is real.

Hence the example I gave earlier about the Christian and the Lion. Recently, I believe in Europe, A Christian jumped into a lion's cage because he believed God would protect him. It seemed real to him. Yet, he was killed by the lion.

My point, obviously, is that just because something seems real to someone does not make it, in fact, reality.

In the context of this thread... if what you're saying is that someone can draw 'meaning' from something merely by believing in it, regardless of its truth, I agree with you. A placebo effect.

I am merely trying to separate 'reality' from 'belief.' They are not the same.