View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: My Epic October Western Motorcycle Ride Trip Report

Part 2 of 9

Friday Oct 5. Utah is freaking amazing! I had never been there before, and had No Idea it was that beautiful! When we got to the Moab area we thought about heading South to Canyonland to ride the road into the park our friends in Durango suggested, but instead decided to head North and make our way over to Arches National Park, then thru Green River, then Hwy 12 thru Capital Reef NP, etc.. Arches was the first national park we visited on this trip. While there I bought a park pass for $80, which turned out to be a very wise investment. Arches was incredible! We drove all thru it, did some hiking, and really enjoyed the sights.

That evening we rode to Green River UT in some VERY windy conditions. A cold front was coming thru, eek! Poor Jeff was blown all over Interstate 70. We stayed in a lovely Motel 6 there, and ate the WORST BUFFET EVER at the restaurant next door by the river.. Wish I could remember the name but stay away!

Saturday Oct 6. Woke up to find clear skies but cold temps, with possible ice & snow in the mountains West of us later that day. Oh well, we read that Scenic Hwy 12 was not to be missed, so we took our chances and headed to Capital Reef, the 2nd national park we'd visit. Such incredible vistas and beauty all around, pics can never do it justice, but we try...

While riding thru the mountains on Hwy 12, it got down to 25 degrees, quite the change from Houston weather a few days before. There were some dark rain clouds around the area, but fortunately it stayed dry where we were riding or we'da been in big trouble. We stopped in Escalante for lunch, again the weather was getting nasty, decided to stay the night there, no more miles that day. Brr it was still cold..

to be continued...