View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: The Life Cycle of a Poker Player (and my thoughts on live vs online)

Great read Brandon, and I enjoyed everyone's comments. I would venture to say that there will one day be a poker player that is the Kasparov, Tiger Woods or Roger Federer of poker.

I don't think any of us could have ever concieved that a sportsman would come along like Tiger Woods. He may only have as much pure talent as Federer or Kasparov, but it's his mental endurance over such a long period competing. It seems like he is not going to to slow down and may end up essentially being the best golfer in the world over twenty years plus. He seems to always give 100%.

For those that believe downswings would not allow anyone to reach this level, I disagree. All great players in all sports lose form at some point in their careers. For example, Tiger has had swing changes and struggled for as much as 24 months at a time. But mentally he was equipped to still compete mentally at 100%, and from what I as a member of the public can tell he never waivered in his preparation despite going so long without winning.

What am I saying? I guess, just because something is inconceivable, it is not impossible. A poker player may come along that is beyond anything we can imagine at this point in time. If we don't blow ourselves up in the next few thousand years, I'm sure someone will come along that could beat a high limit for a winrate that we would consider impossible at present.

Anyway I'm ranting. Nice article Brandon.

p.s. I do disagree that online players would lose in deep stacked live games, unless Kenny Tran really can tell to 100% certainty whether or someone is bluffing or not. And I just can't imagine that someone with great experience could not train themselves not to give off that kind of non-verbal information.