View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 AM

Default What actual regulation do you want to see for online poker?

Whatever happens, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that we just return to the status quo before the UIGEA. Given the option, I would prefer that online poker be regulated and taxed.

Here's a hypothetical. Assume that online poker is made explicitly legal and a U.S. national gaming commission is set up to oversee things. What would regulations would you want to see?

In the past, I've floated the idea of, at a minimum, poker rooms reporting whoever makes at least $600 in a year to the IRS. That seems fair.

Here are some other things I would like to see:
-Independent testing of software and random number generators. Not that I believe that online poker is rigged, but it's just better to have an independent government authority saying that it isn't
-A registry of known cheaters to be shared with all online poker rooms. If you commit credit card fraud to fund your bankroll or play multiple accounts in the same tournament at one online site, the other sites should be able to ban you immediately.
-Full disclosure of site ownership to prevent charges of conflicts of interest.

That's just some of the regulations I would like to see in online poker, but it's enough to get a potential discussion started. In the event that the U.S. government makes online poker explicitly legal, who do you want writing the regulations, the poker rooms or the players?