View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 PM

Default (razz) tourney questions

Question 1:
First a general question:
In NLHE tournaments, your hand selection changes drastically the shorter stacked you get. Should the same happen in limit razz tournaments? Should I be throwing away hands with the 8 up since I'll have so much trouble playing them post-4th in anything except jam-or-fold mode? I'm most concerned about early position, particularly betting into a field with 2-4 lower cards.

Question 2:
another general question:
You have between 1 and 2 bb. Do you jam any 3 card 5? 3 card 6? 3 card 7? (Assume that there are a few cards you need out). My last hand in a $10 tournament today I had 256 and my opponent had a 6 up also. He had A68, which in bare terms gives me just like a 55:45 equity but there was an 8 and an A showing which makes it pretty much 50:50 I think. If I had just called 3rd, I would have folded 4th (I bricked, he didn't) or put the rest of my money in pretty bad. In this case, I raised, he 3bet, I capped all in. I lost it, of course, and felt like an idiot, but I think I should be taking coin flip gambles there, no?

Question 3: a specific question
I can't find the hand now, but I'll look it up later. It crippled me badly. Here's the basic situation....

I have A47 with the 7 up, a player with a 4 up bets, there is only one person to act after me and I opt to call and he calls also, with a 7 up.

On 4th we have
V1: xx47 bets..calls
Hero: A475 raises
V2: xx79 folds

5th, we both brick bad, he bets, I call
6th, I hit an 8, he bricks, so we have
V1: xx47KT
Hero: A475Q8

I'm a big favorite here. But I now have 2/3 of my stack in (villain started with double my stack so he can lose this hand). I have to assume from 4th and 5th that he has a 4 card 7, and will almost always call 6th. In a cash game I'd value bet this all day, but losing this hand will cripple me and 1 extra bb can be a huuuuuge difference. Should I bet or check here?

And Question 4:
I have 2bb left, and I look down at A68 in first position. There are several low cards after me. 1 of my pair outs is out, otherwise there are 3 dead cards I need. I complete, it gets raised and re-raised, calling would put me ALMOST all in, folding obviously leaves me with a little more than 1bb. Do I close my eyes and get all in? Is a fold even possible here?

Let me put it another way - today was a baaaaad day for tournaments, for me.