View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: NL$200| QQ - Committed but his line is very strong!

Jeff, I take your points and don't disagree as such but I think you are maybe seeing things as a little too cut and dry. First off against Bil my range isn't as tight as you might think here. He near min-raised that flop. I call that with AK from time to time to play a turn especially since I believe he's the sort of player that will bottle it if he min-raises to take it down but is looked up. Also, having seemingly bottled it I might take a pop with AK on this turn for around the bet sized I made.

Also my pre-flop range will include SC's and SG's from time to time meaning I can sometimes have a draw or 9x here.

Also a lot of what you are saying, whilst fair comment, is based on results information or information we cannot know until after an event has happened.

In truth when I bet the turn I didn't expect to be check-raised a lot. Check-raising the flop and then trying to pull the same move on the turn is pretty rare and usually only attempted by a complete fish. So when I bet the turn it was primarily for value as I felt Bil either had a hand he was unsure of or had been caught with his hand in the till trying to take the flop cheap in the assumption that it missed my range (which is weighted towards broadway). Had he checked raised me I'd have had to make a decision at the time - I expect I'd have payed him off if he had it but I certainly hadn't planned to deal with a c/r when I made the bet. I expected him to fold or just call and I planned to value shove the river if he checked it. I also didn't expect or plan for him river pushing but when he did he tells me a lot about his hand. That's why I feel it's key to consider folding QQ despite being committed. Ironically by betting he failed to maximise.

So I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying but you seem to suggest that I shouldn't bet the turn in case he has a hand at the upper part of his range and goes for a check-raise. I personally think that's a little weak and generally I like not to worry about a problem until it is exactly that. At the time I made the turn bet the information I had suggested something in the range of 1010-JJ (and I think that's fair). On this board and against this player I'm confident I can get his stack in between the turn and river. I think it's reasonable to take that line even if we get trapped for our stack every now and then.

I guess the point of my thread/question is to ask who, having taken a line for the reasons I've given, then changes the plan when so deep in light of the new information provided on the river.