View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Conjecture and Question

I agree that this is fairly irrefutable, I believe it is an implication of Mason's published argument that due to tournament payout structures the more chips one holds, the less each chip is worth, and vis-versa. If we accept that as true (and I think the majority here do), the conjecture necessarily holds by extension.

Given that a player's expectation is contingent on his chip stack and his relative skill to the field the conjecture must hold for the same reason that in mathematics any factor which weighs on an argument of an equation must weigh on the equation's result.

(In this case, the result is of course the expectation, and the arguments of the equation that derives that result are a player's relative skill and his chips, the latter being conditional on their number but not in a straightforward way which by extension means the result is also not correlated in a linear way with the amount of chips).

Or perhaps I'm missing something. I would like to see someone try and tackle the nay side of this argument.