View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: 150/300 Badugi don\'t really know what I\'m supposed to do

Only about 2% of badugis beat your 7-perfect. In order to be beaten your opponent need not only have been drawing live (no 76, 75, 74 or worse draw) but have caught a three-outer or worse. So you want to get your money in there.

I like the idea of check-raising to trap the field; you are not seriously worried about being outdrawn, particularly with the starting hand standards you mention. I can't believe he would check behind here enough to worry about checking.

The key question for how many raises to put in is, I think, what range he puts you on. We can roughly half the hand range for each raise that goes in. (Of course, some players are just spewy but let's assume at least some thought is going on and he's not trying to get a break.)

Say he assumes you've got a top-50% badugi. His raise is profitable if he's good half the time, or top-25%. Successive halves are: 12.5, 6.25, 3.125, ~1.5. That's six raises total. We've only seen four, so you should feel good about raising at once more on the big-bet streets.

(Even that seems a little weak to me but you've got to figure he either slows down soon or he's got the goods.)

If he puts you on a top-10% hand (roughly an 8 or better) then you need to slow down sooner and perhaps just call, or call and donk-bet the river.