View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Is It Possible To Become A Worse Player Over Time?

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the strat forums are way more valuable than any book out there ...there still isnt a great nl holdem cash game book that is designed for tougher online games ..proffesional NL is pretty good ...it will get you beating the micros but it doesnt give you startegy like what to raise PF and what to play PF because and all of that ...that comes from discussing strategy with other players and understanding the game better ...if your unsure how you played a hand just post it in the strat forums

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree with this comment. Books will give you the foundations and addiotnal things to think about but to improve you need to discuss hands which is best done in the strat forums.

To answer the title of your question i think it is possible to become a worse player. I started online and lost. i was playing way too many hands. When i had read a ton of books i approached the game with a tighter style and started losing more. This was down to one main reason - not letting go of second best hands. I was more experienced and tighter but could not let go of those hands that lose you the most money. i had become a worse player profit wise even though i was more knowlegeable of poker. Reading this forum and others changed my game to be able to make good laydowns, helped me recognise when to slow down on hands.

I also agree lag style wins more but will have a higher variance. Lag style means you absoultely HAVE to know when to fold these second best hands. Lag style is about constant pressure and picking up lots of pots but being able to get away from hands like 2 pair on scary boards/raises form tight players etc.. This takes time and at low levels LAG is not a winner. ABC at lower levels, build that roll and start to Loosen it up as you step up games. NL50 and below = ABC Poker, tight aggressive, positional game.