View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Can You Write a Sure-fire Algorithm to Stop Bots?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey JJ, u dont need to be rude, I'm just putting some ideas on the table.I'm not advocating any one these ideas. Running bad lately ?

Some other ideas :

7 - Segregated Fish Tanks : Players are automaticaly seated at tables where the others players are at same skill level. Bots will eventually play each other.
8 - new poker variants
9 - No screennames and moving tables: You will be moved to other table after, lets say, 20 hands.You will be always playing against someone u dont have enough stats. I think, but I'm not sure , that a bot cant beat a good human player without a profile. A tie is the most probable outcome.

What we do understand today as multiplayer games may be obsolete in 5 years and new enviroments and devices could open new opprtunities to poker.

I think Public profiles may help to preserve fish from the big grinder bot. The fish must know that they are playing against someone who plays X hours/day and sees % of flops etc ...

About the item #4, Bots are VERY sensitive to collusion. Either explicit or implicit. We just need to say : " Hey guys player X is a bot" to make them a losing proposition.

I do agree that the grinder friendly online poker will be dead in a very near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I came across as rude. I think this is a good debate, and I'm not trying to be insulting. And interestingly enough I don't really play online. Basically because I know I'm not good enough to be any more than break even. I find live play more fun, and a lot easier to make money.

7. This would kill online poker. Poker is a giant pyramid scheme. There's a few great players who make money off of everybody. Then the next level makes money off of lots of people but loses it to the people above them, and down we go. At the bottom are the fish. The people that either know they lose money and don't care because they enjoy it, or the people that convince themselves that they're winning players but they aren't. (Note: This is another major threat to online poker. Its hard to convince yourself you're a winning player when you're not online. In real life its way easier to lose track of your actual wins/losses). On top of that, you could easily make your bot play bad enough that it would be the best of the bad players. If you can't tell the difference between humans and bots, you can't separate them into separate tables.

8. You'd have to convince players to play these new games. There's no reason to think that people could learn these games faster than bots (and plenty of reasons to believe bots could adjust faster).

9. Bots will definitely become good enough to adjust to the optimal strategy against unknown players.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, this is just my writing style when I really believe what I'm writing. I could be wrong, but I see almost no situation where online poker can stay ahead of bots indefinitely.