View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

[ QUOTE ]

I am a Family Medicine doc, and I commonly prescribe nearly all the meds listed on this thread. You might want to talk to your doc again about how addicting Xanax (aka Alprazolam) can be. It is intended to help with SHORT term anxiety, due to its immediate sedating effects. By its own pathophysiology, it will build its own demand within your brain, so by definition, it is very addicting. It is a benzodiazepine, same class as Valium and Ativan, only Xanax is shorter acting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your informative post. It's great to get a different perspective on this issue.

Since you are a doctor and you say that you commonly prescribe a lot of the medications listed in the above post let me ask you a question. Why do family doctors prescribe addictive medications to people who claim they have anxiety and sleep problems? Doesn't this just trade one problem for another? Also, Xanax is a drug for SHORT term anxiety? What does that mean exactly? If your anxiety is short term why even treat it with meds?

Don't take this personally because it's not intended to be a slam against you. I'm just really perplexed why doctors are so quick to whip out the prescription pad and give people prescriptions for controlled substances. I know a couple people with addictive personalities who have been given endless supplies of ambien and pain medication because they claim they have a bad back or can't sleep. It seems like doctors should interview family members to get a clear sense of the patient and his behaviors before prescribing something as addictive as Ambien. Can you address why doctors wouldn't discuss things with family members before writing out these types of prescriptions including ones for depression?