View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Official World Cup 2010 Qualifying Thread

As an admirer of Brasilian soccer, I am disheartened by the play of the national team under Dunga.

I realize Kaka and Ronaldinho were missing this summer, but Brasil played very poorly for most of the tournament, struggling to beat lesser nations. To their credit, they played a solid tactical match against Argentina, disrupting their free-flowing attack and hammering them on quick counterattacks. However, it was Argentina who looked the superior side throughout the campaign. Despite having a wealth of talent, Brasil looked lost and required Robinho to almost single-handedly pull them to the final.

The World Cup qualifying campaign hasn't gotten off to the best start either. Eight points from four matches is certainly not bad, but the last home victory against Uruguay was very lucky.

The main issue I have with Dunga is player selection. If Ronaldo and Adriano regain their fitness, they should be included. Luis Fabiano is a solid striker, but I am not at all impressed by Vagner Love, who plies his trade in Siberia, or Afonso Alves, no matter how many goals he scores against second-rate Dutch competition. Also, Mancini, despite wonderful form in Roma, has not played for his country since 2004.

In Kaka Brasil have perhaps the world's finest player. Ronaldinho is starting to regain his form and Robinho is exploding in Madrid. Combined with Daniel Alves, Fabiano, Alex, Juan, Elano, Diego and talented teenagers, Brasil have the skill to match the run that the previous generation accomplished from 1994-2006.

One only has to go back as recently as the 2005 Confederations Cup, particularly the championship match in which their unmatched skill and deadly finishing shredded Argentina, to understand the benchmark for Brasil.

Once again Brasil are the oddsmakers favorites to lift the Jules Rimet trophy, but a stubborn coach and grinding style of play could prevent that.