Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

So I got to two of these tonight after having a Widmer Broken Halo IPA, which was alright. I split them with my girlfriend so I only had a half a 12 oz bottle of each.

Capital Brewery: Autumnal Fire
Pours reddish amber with a light head (although my gf poured it a minute before I walked into the room)
Very malty aroma with a little bit of hoppiness.
Very mild front end with a sweet finish with a little bit of spice. Has a warm feel and almost a little bite.

I don't fall for spicy beers, but this was pretty damn good. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] +1/2 / [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
I think this would easily be a 4 if I liked spicy beers.

Lake Louie's Tommy's Porter
This beer pours dark black with a medium tan head.
Has a dark roasted coffee aroma, almost burnt.
Very smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation. Left a something to be desired for mouthfeel.
Light and malty/chocolatey with good coffee flavors. Somewhat of a dry finish.

Well, needless to say I was a little disappointed by this beer as I had very high expectations. I had it on tap last week and thought it was a lot better than this. It falls pretty short of Fuller's London Porter, which is sort of my gold standard for porters. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]