View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s and Reuben\'s PLNLP and Ciaffone\'s new book

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]I wouldn't bother reading the other sections if you don't play those games.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is seriously bad advice.

You should read the entire book, even if you never intend to play the other games. This is because many important Pot Limit and No Limit concepts are discussed in these other chapters. And these concepts apply to Hold'em as well. Some of these concepts appear in their purest form in games other than hold'em, and this is why they are best illustrated by using a different game. But they still apply to Hold'em.

For example, I have rarely played London Lowball and may never play it again in the future. Yet I found that chapter of the book to be both very interesting and very useful. This is because it illustrates some important Pot Limit concepts that apply to Hold'em (and any other game) as well. These concepts appear in a 'pure' form in Lowball and some other stud games and are thus best discussed in this context. But they can be directly transferred to Hold'em.

It's a bit like the Theory of Poker. Many important concepts that relate to any poker game are discussed in that book. It would be silly just to read the examples that are Hold'em based because many of the important ideas may use stud or other games to exemplify them, even though they can also be applied to Hold'em. It's exactly the same with Ciaffone's book.