View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: This Season of SNL

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't watched much Mr. Show, but I don't think the other two were models of consistency, either. Chappelle's Show was genius when done well - and he is unquestionably a very funny guy - but I think he had his fair number of unfunny stinkers as well. If you look at the actual number of minutes of quality that all of these shows produced per week, I think it's about the same. SNL's problem is that it is 90 minutes long and so there's a lot more dreck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we're getting into a subjective area that depends highly on your sense of humor, your standards to laugh, etc. etc. I know that with any of those 3 shows, I can pop in any disc, click on any episode, and not feel the need to press the skip chapter button at any point.

One thing I'd like to say about Flying Circus (and this will probably end up going for Mr. Show in 10 years because it's similar in the fact that it doesn't revolve around topical humor) is that the show has aged so well. There are certain bits that are probably funnier if you were watching it during its first-run (mostly involving BBC personalities), but those sketches still end up being hilarious for other reasons. Every time I watch anything Python, I'm always amazed at how intelligent the humor is while still being extremely absurd and silly. And outside of the two Terry's (who provide most of their value in the art and direction side), all of they Python's are extremely good performers.