View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

<font color="blue"> As I've said before, it isn't unreasonable to conclude that something having the appearance of design is designed. </font>

Agreed. As long as we are aware that there is more than one method of design. Evolutionary design is one. As would be the physical laws governing the properties of the universe.

It's also worth pointing out some very poignant flaws in the design we do see. Humans have an appendix and tailbone, for example. Human males have nipples. Some snakes have remnants of legs. Some flightless birds have feathers or remnants of wings. This points AWAY from an intelligent designer. Surely, you respect God's perfection enough to think He wouldn't have somehow forgotten the appendix is utterly pointless to humans as He was making us in His image?

<font color="blue"> The Bible is consistent over thousands of transcripts copied over thousands of years. </font>

I'm no biblical scholar, but I believe there are countless inconsistencies just in the first few pages alone. But I'll leave that alone for now. There are also discrepencies among it's authors. I believe two of them had different names for the coming Messiah. One called him something other than Jesus (Emmanuel?). At least one author makes no mention of the the very important fact that Jesus was born of a virgin birth. I could go on and on. Or is your point that the story hasn't changed since the last author?

<font color="blue">If you knew for a fact that the Red Sea had parted would you be certain it was done by God? If so, would you be certain it was done by the God of the Bible? If so, would you be willing to worship Him? </font>

This is where you have me pegged all wrong. If it were fact that the Red Sea had one day inexplicably parted without any cause in foreseeable sight, I would quickly re-assess my own position and the likelihood for the existence of God. I would most likely believe. Would I believe it was the Christian God? That would depend on whether or not there was greater reason to believe in the Christian God as opposed to Allah, for example. It would depend on whether or not I thought the Jews made a stronger case for who Jesus was than Christians do. In other words, once being convinced of God's existence, I would thoroughly look into what He would want and expect of me. And yes, I would worship Him.

I'm not like some who claim they wouldn't worship the Christian God because they believe He is a tyrant and don't agree with His moralistic principles. If I knew the Christian God existed, I would get down on my knees, ask for forgiveness, and worship Him immediately. So you have me all wrong, or are lumping me in with a group of defiant atheists which I am not a part of. If there were a God, it certainly wouldn't bother me as it would some.

But we have strayed way off my main point, which was: Knowledge of Christianity is available to almost everyone. That everyone doesn't see it as so obviously true as you seem to, should be concerning to you. That people like Sklansky don't seem all that concerned with the fate of their souls, should be doubly concerning. You think HE (and many more like him), can't properly analyze and apply the correct concepts of thought to a given topic? Do you think if he thought there was any chance he'd be going to hell if he weren't a Christian, that he'd become a Christian? I'm sure he doesn't feel much differently than I do (or many other atheists for that matter). If we thought the Christian God existed, we'd be Christians. And I'll go a step further. Many of us, would probably be better Christians than the majority of those who are now.