Thread: SmileyEH's Log
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: SmileyEH\'s Log

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think biggest problem is between power Clean and squat clean... I assume SC should be much higher, but 3rd pull is very crucial. Your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the squat clean should begin to exceed the power version when the 2nd pull is precise enough that you can receive the bar roughly where you want to each time. For the power clean it's pretty easy to adjust for bar movenment forward-back just by jumping forward/back or bending at the hips. If you are catching in a full squat then there is much less room for error - the problem I'm running into. If the bar drifts forward just a little it is very difficult to adjust the catch. At high loads I am forced to lean forward, lose the back arch and I either muscle it up in an ugly squat or bail.

For the 3rd pull flexibility and speed/skill is much more important in the squat version. Got to get down quickly and precisely-for advanced lifters I think this becomes the limiting factor, for elite lifters it is the front squat. Right now if I catch in a deep squat my hamstrings are too tight to prevent my butt from tucking under - for most other guys this would probably happen even shallower - around parallel or even higher.

Just my thoughts - I originally thought my limiting factor was getting under quick enough, but I think my pull and catch technique, and flexibility are what's the trouble.