View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: How do you handle this?

If it bothers you, please try to discreetly tell the dealer. S/he may not react, but then again, s/he may be glad to have an ally.

I'm curious how others feel about people talking about hands or the board. As a dealer, I try to curb it best I can, but I can't tackle every time, so I look for the more egregious violations, or someone consistently talking. Usually people say, "oh, sorry," and I smile and say it's ok.

It's those who fight back that bug me, because it puts me in a double-bind. They won't get kicked out or even dealt out of a hand because of it. All they get is the floor coming over and wagging a finger and telling them that if they do it again, they're due for another finger-wagging. But obviously I can't let somebody blatantly violate a rule and then get away with yelling at me about it, either. So that's why I try to handle it delicately.

By and large the player is right, it's not a problem and it's not affecting anything. But what I usually say to diffuse it, as friendly as I can, is, "yeah, it's usually not a problem until it's problem, then it's a HUGE problem... you'll understand if it ever affects a pot you're in." That lets them know I'm looking out for everybody, and is more explanatory than disciplinary.

Regarding string-betting, check the rules in your room. I am not to correct a string bet unless a player brings it up first.