View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

Well, I doubt I will get chosen, but here it is.

I am a sophomore in college. After playing golf, cello, etc, all through my life, I feel as if I had nothing that I could do to be considered "good" in anymore. I'm not involved in either golf or cello anymore. When I was younger, I was a very good chess player, but stopped when I was about 10. I have a good GPA with a major in biology, but I have no passion towards school. I feel like I have a lot of potential with a solid math background and being a quick thinker, but I am in need of direction.

After playing poker with friends over the summer, I thought that I should try to play online. With a bit of beginners luck, I went from 50 to 200 before running out. Had similar runs two more times, trying sit and go, before putting in another 50 and deciding that I really need to learn in-depth how to play, this time focusing on micro-limit poker.

What I would like to get out of coaching is better direction. I've spent hours upon hours since deciding to focus on cash games reading the uNL faq. I set a plan for learning SnG, but since switching to cash, and the fact that it seems there is a shortage of books on this subject, I have no idea what I'm going to have to do to reach my full potential.

My plan is here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=2#Post12849129

During this 9 month window, while short, I hope I can determine whether or not to continue pursuing poker, regardless of whether I make money or not. If I make a lot of progress, I want to continue, if not, who knows. I also want to give it my best shot, to better judge my skill. The only thing I'm doing now is reading the uNL faq over and over again, for about an hour a day, and playing for another hour or so (would do more, but hard with school). Currently, I'm about a break-even player at uNL, but I've only played for about 2 weeks. I have no idea how coaching would work out, whether or not it would focus on individual concepts or the overall game.

My goal for poker overall is to learn how to play to my best ability, and then some. It's my last shot at "being good" at something (other than school). I have a lot of desire for mastering poker, but as mentioned earlier, I'm in a "confused" stage.