View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Andy B\'s 4000th Post: The Book Thread to End All Book Threads

Andy I will disagree with you about West's book. The book has recieved a lot of negative comments here so I generally wouldn't bother to bring the book up. Since you asked:

I think most of the comments about problems with West's book come from very experience players. Try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who has been playing holdem and wants to try stud.

When I decided to learn stud (playing in a friends basement as an 11 year old doesn't count) I picked up Zee's book. With little to no experience I could not make heads or tails of what he was talking about. So I went to the book store, saw West's book and despite the comments I had seen here paid for the book.

I found the book to be an excellent INTRODUCTION for someone who wants to get the basic idea of how the game works and some general info on what to do. The book helped get me into the game and kept me out of trouble during the first few months of playing on line. The book is easy to read, short and is very specific on how to play the various starting hands. This is what a BEGINING player is looking for not a "raise to isolate" theory that doesn't really work on the low limits games begining internet players are playing.

Once I gained experience I went back and read Zee. At that point I understood the flows in the game and was ready to learn more advanced concepts. I believe that when people come to this forum and want information of how to learn the game they will be done a disservice by being told to just read Zee. People need an basic introduction to the game not a dissertation on stud theory.