View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 07:02 AM

Default WSOP 7Stud Hand v Chau Giang

[ QUOTE ]
Some advocate Roy West’s 7 Card Stud: 42 Lessons as a beginner’s book. I cannot agree with this. It is easier to read and understand than 7CS4AP, but there is just too much substandard advice for me to recommend it. To use an example which I have beaten to death, there is a section where he discusses how to play a pair of Kings when someone with an Ace showing raises. If the Kings are split, he advocates folding (which is quite reasonable against many low-limit opponents), but he recommends calling if your Kings are hidden, because of the deceptive value. He goes on to recommend that you fold your Kings on fourth street if you don’t make trips, however. This is a terrible game plan. Assuming that you’re at a full table and your Kings are live, it is 20:1 against your catching trips on fourth street. You aren’t getting anything close to those odds, express, implied, or otherwise. If you are going to fold on fourth street when you don’t make trips, then you should fold on third street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Around the four hour mark. Chau had a monster stack as he'd been catching everything and anything. Chau raises w/an A, I re-raise with K/Kx, Chau calls everybody else folds. One A & K dead. We catch rags, Chau check-raises me on 4th and I fold. Chau nods but doesn't show his hand.

He knocks me out two hours later when I miss my nut flush-gutshot draw, and is quite friendly/respectful when I come back to the tourney area later after dinner.

FWIW despite his huge early stack Chau misses the money, as do Juanda & Chris Grigorian(class guy).

Been awhile since I read Roy's book. Andy's excerpt is just horrendous; I can't defend Roy here(villain may have nut 3flush [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]? f'instance), but IMO it's still a good book.

[ QUOTE ]
I bought Othmer’s book a few years ago and have tried to read it a few times. It is very dense with lots of charts and numbers and things. It may well contain some worthwhile advice, but I find it difficult to read, and I mostly play hold’em these days anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to think of a musical equivalent but can't. Othmar's book is a fascinating browse if you have the time. Maybe, um, your friend's stepmom is very hot but 40lbs overweight and there's no threat of discovery... [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]