View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: AP/DowJones on Gambling legislation: Banks say regs aren\'t that st

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the poker rooms have to decide, in essence, whether they care or not that they're breaking US law. Party Poker and 888, large publicly-traded corporations based in the United Kingdom, have decided that they do care, in part because UK authorities are more likely to cooperate with US authorities on these matters and in part because shareholders aren't likely to think favorably of a business that is arguably illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your analyses seem pretty astute and I'd like your opinion on a thought I had about why party will be shutting it's U.S. facing operations. I think that this may be a political move on their part. Could party be trying to effect change after the fact by shutting us out cold-turkey as soon as the law is signed? As many of us have noticed, very few people seem to be aware of the new legislation. Imagine the surprise many people will get when they log into their account and are told that they are not allowed to play on real money tables due to new federal laws. Perhaps party is hoping for a very loud and angry reaction with the election coming in just a few weeks time. If there really are 25 million online poker players, and we all decide to take action we could be a force to be reckoned with. Maybe they've decided that pushing us into action and getting a long-term solution will be worth the short-term hit to their stock price. Of course, it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy any of the conspiracy theories related to Party's announcement today. Too many of the customers they lost today are never, ever coming back.

btw, being stuck in the airport is fun. Go, weather!