View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: another tipping question (sorry)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2) As the pots get larger, tip on up to $20 (Usually only on 1000+ pots. This would not be uncommon in the 1-2 games in Tunica as cash plays and the games are usually uncapped.) The upside rule is that I almost never tip over 25 no matter how large the pot. The funny thing is, most dealers don't worry about it. If you just took down a 3k pot and they only get 20 bucks, they still feel like you took care of them...

I don't do this because I'm a nice guy. Dealers who respect you will make you a lot of money. They will steer you to good games, soft play you when they are propping, tell you about good and bad players in the room, and let you know which cocktail staff are available (just kidding!)

[/ QUOTE ]

More power to you if you want to tip several dollars a pot; you're a nice guy and I'm sure the dealers appreciate it very much. However, there's no way this is a +EV decision for you; whatever extra money you make because the staff likes you is absolutely getting swamped by the extra you're spending on tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that we will have to politely disagree on this. My key point is to make sure that you should tip a dollar per hand no matter what. That will get you a great deal of respect and cost you little. As to whether tipping slightly more is truly +EV I would concede that it is probably break even, but honestly the extra 6-8 dollars per hour I spend in tips I truly believe can be returned to you in many ways in a poker room...

On a side note, if you regularly play in a 100+ table room or play in a room where the dealers pool their tips with table gaming (St. Louis, anyone?) you will unfortunately gain little...