View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: My Hall of Fame Ballot

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm incorrect on assessing what the basis of your argumetn is, answer me this...how many actual HOF voters do you think are even looking at EqA in making their votes? And lest you mistake my point, I am not saying anyone should vote for someone because of what a voter looks at or not...I just want your opinion on what % of actual HOF voters will even look at EqA graphs before voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer your question first, I'd say no more than 3%, and probably more closely to 1%

But I have to wonder why you think this is relevant at all. Just because the sportswriters are clearly not using all the facts available to them doesn't mean that you should follow suit. I'd use those same percentages to describe the amount of ALL sportswriters (not just those members of BBWAA) that I think have a clue about sports, period.

[ QUOTE ]

From the HOF website, "Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."

That seems to leave room for a LOT of subjectivity, do you not agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yeah, which has nothing to do with the one aspect we've been discussing which is the player's performance on a baseball field. At no point have you said that you believe Rice had more integrity, sportsmanship, or character than Raines. We'd have no way to judge these characteristics anyway. Which leaves us with what they did on the field.

I have no problem with you thinking Rice deserves to be in the HOF. And if you used reasonable metrics, there are arguments you can make for Rice > Raines. But you choose not to make those arguments and instead use the excuse that it's your opinion and you don't have to defend that.

[ QUOTE ]
One benefit of not being able to understand that reasonable minds can differ is being able to actually accept that just because another person's thought process and logic isn't exactly like yours doesn't make them stupid. If you can't accept that, then there's really very little reason for anyone who does not believe exactly as you, to engage in discussion with you. You may think that my position being based somewhat on subjective factors is "flawed", but that does not at all invalidate my reasoning in the least, not as long as you don't have the sole say so in what a voter may consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna go back to the A-Rod/Reyes thing.

If I told you I thought Jose Reyes was a better baseball player in 2007 because he had a higher batting average, stole more bases, and had more hits, would you think I wasn't an idiot when it came to baseball?