View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Physical job and weight loss?

I used to work at UPS. I don't know what your job is, but I was an unloader and a sorter.

If you are an unloader ("There's the semi, unload it, I'm checking to see that you are pushing 50 packages a minute out the back") then you are doing a lot of work in the 4-5 hours that will burn a fair amouht of calories. You'll lose weight unless you eat like a pig. But it will not get you "in shape." You need to work out, to add some muscle. You job should get you in average-above average cardio shape, but not anywhere into great shape. You just aren't working hard enough.

If you are a sorter ("See those 50 packages a minute coming off that truck, look at each one and pick it up/slide it to the correct belt") then you are doing some work (good for burning calories), but less so than unloading. Still need weight lifting and cardio.

I would suggest lifting weight 3 times a week and doing some high intensity cardio once or twice a week. (I think the UPS jobs is equal to a 4-5 hour walk at a decent pace.) When I worked there we never got any breaks. I frequently worked 1 truck until it was empty then I went home or helped someone else finish up their truck. Had to work less than 5 hours or the law said we got a break. NEVER HAPPENED!

------------Kitty