View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

[ QUOTE ]
I figured someone would post about that here. I assume some people saw it. Maybe I'm blind and missed the topic?

One of the controversies, of course, is her comparisons between slavery, holocaust victims and our treatment of animals. Without giving my opinion on that, I don't believe that the documentary would have been made and shown on HBO without that type of controversy. I also don't believe that those offended by these types of comparisons would have been swayed in the direction of PETA had she taken a gentler direction. Tactically, therefore, it was the right move on her part, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a guy that grew up on a a farm, and did work on that farm which included killing animals, I say PETA can go [censored] themselves. I own part of a farm now and continue to raise animals. There are a great many people in this country breaking their backs to put food on their own table and in doing so put food on everyone else's table. I realize that there are giant corporate farms and stockyards, but at the same time there are a ton of family farms in competition with those entities. Farms that have been raising and slaughtering animals for decades.

It's not animal torture, it's the damn life cycle. Animals die so that we can live. There's an enormous difference between slaughtering a race of humans out of spite and slaughtering a chicken so that you can have Sunday dinner and everyone knows it -- yet we allow PETA to get away with it for some reason. Disingenuous [censored] like that puts me on instant life-tilt - I'd love to see those PETA holier-than-thou [censored] say that [censored] to a farmer's face.