View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Philosophy majors?

[ QUOTE ]
Double majoring in philosophy is probably one of the smartest things you can do, while only majoring in philosophy is a huge mistake unless you are sure you want to do law school. Doing philosophy solely as a major is a huge gamble. Philosophy is really helpful with just arguments and how your form/evaluate them, which is essentially in every day life. I'm currently focusing on Comp sci and philosophy and really love it. What other interests do you have besides philosophy?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've majored in film that last year and a half, and decided that i wasn't excited about a career in that field. My interests academically would be pretty much limited to philosophy, pyschology, sociology, that sort of thing. I don't have much of an interest in anything that seems like a viable career, like business, engineering, etc.

i'm a little frightened by the statement "only majoring in philosophy is a huge mistake unless you are sure you want to do law school"

i've never given any thought to law, i was interested in a few basic law courses i've taken, but i've never really considered law school... could anyone give me more details as to why/why not majoring in philosophy would be a huge mistake?

And could a student with an average GPA and high SAT scores (i'm in my second year of college, not sure if my SAT scores have any bearing) have any hope of attending law school?