View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Pooh-Bah - Crushing Short Stacks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else noticed this one? I'm certainly watching SSers who do this closely, to get a clear line on the ranges they pull this stuff on, so I can retake the initiative.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kinda surprised you're surprised by this. I see this somewhat regularly. Usually when there's a fair bit of dead money from players calling a raise and the raiser is in LP (therefore having a wide range). It's a squeeze, but because villain is short stacking, it becomes a push. Most often this is a mid or small PP - A hand they'd overlimp with, rather than raise, but which they think is beating or coin flipping the raiser's range. And they assume they have fold equity a lot of the time because the raiser is unlikely to call with JTs.

Here's an example from this week-end.

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $33
UTG+1: $30
MP: $95.40
Hero (CO): $178.75
BTN: $126.40
SB: $90
BB: $100

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $6</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls $5, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $30 and is All-In</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $54</font>, UTG calls $27 and is All-In

Flop: ($97.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: ($97.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($97.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $97.50 Pot ($3 Rake)
UTG showed J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Eights and Sevens) and LOST (-$33 NET)
UTG+1 showed 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Eights and Sevens) and LOST (-$30 NET)
Hero showed A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Eights and Sevens) and WON $94.50 (+$61.50 NET)

[/ QUOTE ]

He said good shortstackers. Neither of these guys is good. I think thats the difference that diebitter was pointing out. This is a pretty terrible play by both of the shortstackers involved.